Hi,

> In a standard open source software project, authority is (roughly) a
> meritocracy. Authority flows to those people who contribute and who
> demonstrate themselves competent.

There's one group of people who like authority, and power, and they
give themselves titles and do elections and votings and think up
formal structures, like who gets to be a simple developer, or a
developer 2nd grade with semi commit access, or a grande developer 1st
grade with iron cross, or an admin, or whatever. They revel in
hierarchies and power, or the illusion thereof.

And there's those who do the work and who don't really care.

Authority flows to those who like authority, and work flows to those
who like work, and the two are sometimes the same, but not necessarily
and not automatically.

> This model works quite well.

In some cases.

> It seems like an obvious model for OSM to adopt, and it's the one I
> _thought_ we were adopting. But hey, maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe you have only seen cases where your model "works quite well" and
not those where it didn't.

> Maybe the authority being exercised by the OSMF in working on the
> licensing problem is an illusion.

The OSMF has no authority over the project, only over the funds it
allocates. It has no mandate from the project, and only a minority of
project members are also foundation members.

Look at you! All I'm saying is ditch those stupid votes where three
and half people cast a vote and the rest don't care, and already you
give me all that anarchist utopia bullshit. We're grown-up people, we
can decide which tags to use without someone dictating a process to
us, and what's best: We can change our minds tomorrow without some
bureaucrat telling us that "a decision has been made" (your words!)
and can only be changed through process X, yes and please fill out and
sign three copies of the yellow form.

Bye
Frederik

--
Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ##  N49°00'09" E008°23'33"