Hi,

> Interestingly, your vineyard example is exactly working that way. YOU
> have decided that you want to have vineyards in the way you like it. YOU
> have implemented it into osmarender to be shown on the map. So in effect
> YOU "control how others do theirs" - by setting the "reference" how it's
> displayed on the map.

Well. Before there were no vineyards on the map. And the discussion
was rather dead. What do you expect me to do, start a vote or just do
it in a way that works and gets vineyards on the map?

> Maybe the reason you're one of the people raising the voice against
> voting is that it will reduce YOUR level of control over others?!?

Firstly, anyone could have taken the vineyard issue and done something
about it. Nobody did. To me this is a clear indication of it not being
important enough for people to invest work - important enough to voice
an opinion (there are people with a lot of opinion to go around) but
not important enough to do something. It was important for me, and I
did something about it. This has nothing to do with control. I hope
that everybody does the same. (And in the concrete vineyard example,
had anybody solved the issue before me, I'd surely have just used his
tags.)

So your suspicion here is completely bogus. And you know that.

> The model "those who do the work get to decide how it's done" is just
> fine if you have a few developers - but it doesn't work perfectly if
> there are 20000+ mappers all doing "their" stuff.

But they aren't! There's the wiki, there are the mailing lists - you
all talk as if the moment we stop voting, people will suddenly do
whatever they like, on a whim, without spending a second of thought on
what others might perhaps do, whereas we now have voting which keeps
chaos at bay. Is that *really* what you believe, or just another
strawman you're setting up?

> Interestingly, the tagwatch mechanism is in no way a substitution to
> voting. Tagwatch is only about tag syntax, voting is more about tag
> semantics.

Not VOTING is about tag semantics, DISCUSSION is. I'm all for
discussion. I just suggest leaving out the final stage of voting
because it has no relevance anyway. I understand if people see a
certain merit in a "closed discussion", if people want to "tick off"
issues and move on, but that doesn't work for us, at least not in this
early stage. The value is in the discussion, in the exchange of minds
over the issue. The value is not in the vote taking and vote counting.

Bye
Frederik

--
Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ##  N49°00'09" E008°23'33"