On Monday 24 March 2008 16:13:58 Dave Stubbs wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 2:38 PM, Cartinus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Monday 24 March 2008 15:18:00 Dave Stubbs wrote:
> >  > There are always edge cases that cause problems.
> >
> >  None of the things I mentioned above are really rare here in the
> > Netherlands. I realise this country is not very big, so maybe we have to
> > live with the fact we are an "edge country"?
>
> Most of the things that you mentioned can be covered with the
> cycleway=left_lane style of tagging. And with modifications to mapnik
> it would be possible to render those, but there maybe some edge case
> problems. For many things it may be better and cleaner to tag like
> that.
>
> Sometimes it maybe better to create separate ways.
> These are things we need to sort out.
>
> Please don't be so quick with the sarcasm, it's not very constructive.

There are basically two options to try and put separate properties on the
left- and right handed side cycleway while keeping everything on one
way-object:

highway=secondary
cycleway:left=bidirectional_track
cycleway:right=track

highway=secondary
cycleway=left_bidirectional_track;right_track

The first won't fly because everytime anybody mentions namespaces it gets
boo-ed away as being too complex. The second one is absolutely no fun to
write stylesheets for (or the renderer needs a preprocessor to split them).
Neither way of tagging is expandable if you want to put more properties on
them (paved e.g.)

While mapnik might be able to displace stuff sideways, last I heard this was
impossible in XSLT/SVG

But my main point stays that putting everything into that one way-object makes
it much too hard to see what is tagged as what during the editing phase,
resulting in numerous errors.

--
m.v.g.,
Cartinus

P.S. There was nothing meant as sarcastic in my previous post, only the first
one in this thread was, because what Ben wrote is IMHO very for from
the "truth".