On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:39 AM, Jo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sebastian Spaeth wrote:
> > Lars Aronsson wrote:

> >> Of course it matters which side the bus stop is on.  You don't
> >> want to enter a bus that goes the wrong way, so you have to go to
> >> the right stop.  This is as fundamental as which bus lines the
> >> stop is for.
> >>

> > I agree with LA here. Sometimes a bus stop would be on both sides of the
> > road. Sometimes it would only be on one side while the one for the other
> > direction is around the corner. Not having this kind of data is (in my
> > personal data model view) not acceptable :-).
> > Al left/right is a bit ambigious, so far I tend to draw little service
> > roads and have a bus stop there.
> >
> > As for data, I tend to favor bus_line=123;direction=southampton or
> > something similar. (or direction=north would also be a good way).
> >
> Over here, most bus stops serve for more than one line, so north/west
> etc makes more sense to me than Brussels North Station/Airport personnel
> parking lot. Which are totally different locations where the different
> lines happen to go to.
>
> Polyglot

This seems to further highlight a need for a generic way to treat
direction-sensitive information, in a way that can be processed by editors
to automatically switch the left/right or whatever if a way is reversed. I
know key namespaces are generally shouted down, but it would be a
straightforward way to deal with this. i.e., left:bus_stop or
left:house_number or left:my_heart_in_san_francisco. :-P If a way was
reversed, the editors could change all the left: to right: Would need to
apply to relations, too, though, and it starts to get tricky. But at a
minimum, if a way is reversed, and it belongs to a relation containing
direction-sensitive tags, the editors could prompt the user to confirm the
action.

Just brainstorming here, I welcome your thoughts.

Karl