Hi,

> highway=secondary
> cycleway:left=bidirectional_track
> cycleway:right=track
>
> highway=secondary
> cycleway=left_bidirectional_track;right_track
>
> The first won't fly because everytime anybody mentions namespaces it gets
> boo-ed away as being too complex.

As you correctly say, both these solutions are horrible (especially if
you think further and come to "cycleway:left:distance_from_road=5m"
and all that).

In an ideal world, I'd say let us have extra ways for everything, and
some kind of linkage (relations or anything) between them. A renderer
could then leave out road-adjacent cycleways if so desired, and an
editor could move them together with the road they're linked to.

For now, I would advocate extra ways whereever the cycleway is not
just a lane painted on the road, and editors might become smart enough
to detect a bordering cycleway and move that together with the road if
you move the road or so.

> But my main point stays that putting everything into that one way-object
> makes
> it much too hard to see what is tagged as what during the editing phase,
> resulting in numerous errors.

I think it would not be impossible to improve editors to the point
where they could work with your above examples, but that would not
reduce their horribleness.

Bye
Frederik

--
Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ##  N49°00'09" E008°23'33"