On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 1:19 PM, Karl Newman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 1:07 PM, Gervase Markham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/GPS
> > says:
> > "Thinking of getting a GPS Receiver to add data to OSM? These reviews
> > are here to help."
> >
> > Well, if you have a particular model in mind, and want to know if it's
> > any good, then they are some help. But if your mother has told you "I
> > want a GPS with a screen for my motorbike, which I can also use for
> > gathering OSM data", then trying to read through and compare 50
> > different models is impossible.
> >
> > Would it be really too controversial for OSM to have a "we particularly
> > recommend these N models" page, where N is small? Clearly, the NaviGPS
> > (which I own) would be one, because it's good and OSM gets some money.
> > But it would be great to have some sort of consensus on models in other
> > price/capability brackets, perhaps a little more than a few mailing list
> > messages saying "I have a Foo GPS, and it's fine".
> >
> > What do people think?
> >
> > Gerv
> >

> I have a Garmin Vista HCx, and it's fine. :-p
>
> Karl

Okay, sorry for my unhelpful joke. Anyway, I haven't used other brands, but
Garmin might be a good choice in many cases. The models with memory cards
can create GPX tracklogs, and even better, using mkgmap you can
create Garmin maps from OSM data. I don't know if that's been done for other
GPS receivers. (I'm not counting PDA-type devices.)

Karl