Frederik Ramm wrote:
> I would be reluctant to publicly recommend anything where OSM gets any
> kind of kickback, _even if_ that device would be one I recommend in
> private. That would look as if our recommendation could be bought!

Or perhaps the opposite; we like this so much and we want you to use it
so much that we've gone to the effort of arranging a deal.

Given that the people recommending don't get any money themselves, the
"it's all self-interest" link is weak.

> Maybe we should define a few categories ("BT mouse without logger",
> "standalone logger without display", "standard hand-held GPS with
> display", "outdoor-ish hand-held GPS with display", "in-car navigation
> device") and identify the 2-3 best devices in each.

That's just the sort of thing I had in mind.

> But how would such
> a list be kept current? As long as it is just a Wiki page, anyone can
> add their GPS preferences or write about a cool new device. But if you
> implement a process to reach a "project recommendation" then obviously
> the final result would not be "just a Wiki page", it would be a page
> which may only be changed after repeating the process...

That sounds like a feature to me, not a bug...

Perhaps we need a page "GPS endorsements". Or perhaps the ability to
endorse items on the current page, and then order by endorsements. A
crude form of voting.

Gerv