Richard Fairhurst
>Sent: 24 April 2008 10:57 AM
>To: talk@openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] GPS recommendations
>
>Stephen Hope wrote:
>
>> I think it's just as important to have a list of models NOT to buy.
>
>The one recommendation I'd give is: if you're expecting to be at all
>serious about OSM, grit your teeth and pay for a decent Garmin.
>
>I'm now using an eTrex Legend HCx (having started with a basic yellow
>eTrex, then moved up to a Geko 201) and the difference it makes is
>enormous: quality of reception, in-built OSM mapping, storage
>capacity, ease of use, ease of marking waypoints... it's just a
>beautiful unit, and I wish I'd gone straight to it rather than
>bothering with the Geko. It's such a shame to see people struggling
>with gpsbabel, drivers etc. when you can just plug a USB cable into a
>higher-end eTrex and download the tracks in mass storage mode.
>
>Personally I don't get on with the NaviGPS at all, finding it a
>fiddly, unreliable, counter-intuitive little beastie, and would
>happily see it consigned to ocean floor surveying duties. But if
>you're a happy Linux command-line hacker you may have more luck with
>it than me.

Totally agree with Richard on both points here. I've had a B&W legend as my
first & primary GPS and am really glad that’s what I started with and am
sure it has a lot to do with keeping me interested in the mapping. Yes I do
now need to upgrade the unit to the Legend HCx to get the benefits of more
OSM map coverage and faster download/upload from the unit, but the old B&W
workhorse has served me well and I think if funds are limited and the
mapping is only being done periodically and in a reasonable localised area
then its still a valuable device even today, and what's more they can be
picked up second hand on ebay for less than £50. I'd go for a second hand
unit that displays OSM mapping over a Navi or other pure logging platform
any day. But hey, each to their own.

Cheers

Andy