Oh well..

The 1st model has road points marked up; one node in the way per stop or
pair of stops, representing the place on the highway where the bus, stops.

-----x-------x---------

The 2nd has a stop off the road, slightly, representing the pole or
whatever, ie the actual bus-stop.

I think that (option 2) is correct as we are representing a real object.
Some people think that it's a highway feature for routing purposes.

It depends, IMHO, if you are mapping for bus companies to route their
buses by (nah...) or everyone to find a bus stop (yeah..)
There is an issue about working out which direction the bus is going, vs
working out what road the stop is actually on.

There was a recent argum^h^h^h discussion about this on Talk.

BTW we seem to have slipped off list - sorry, my fault!

Mark