Comments in line

To be clear, are you saying that Google say that in the case of two bus
stops nearly opposite each other on either sides of the road then these
should be encoded as two separate entities? If so they are equivalent to a
Transmodel Stop Point. Personally I didn't find Google's description too
clear on the matter and I suspect that there may be some data suppliers who
interpret the GT stop concept as a Stop Point (two separate entities) and
other data suppliers who will interpret it as a Stop Area (one entity).
http://code.google.com/transit/spec/transit_feed_specification.html

There are debates on the GT email group at the moment about how to code
station entrances and stop Points that are distant from the road etc so
their data model is still evolving and is probably not as good a reference
for us as the EU standards which worked this out 10 years ago.

> There is also a hailer zone, where there are no bus stops
> specifically. The driver just stops where it is safe to do so and
> passengers need to get on and off.

Sure, it would make sense to define a Hail and Ride section as being part of
a length of road as an attribute of the road, although one would need to
allow for the case where it was only buses in one direction that stopped.
Hail and Ride is always the delinquent 'awkward' child in the mix, and will
require special attention. In the UK standards there would be one notional
Stop Point for each direction for a hail-and-ride section.

> > For railway stations it can get more complicated as a platform can
> > be made
> > up of sub platforms (long trains stop at platform 4 and two short
> > ones can
> > stop at 4A and 4B etc). In this case I believe there should be a
> > Stop Point
> > for 4, 4A and 4B.
> > http://www.transmodel.org/en/transmodel/gloss/s.htm
> >

> Train platforms are so long that I think that they should be modeled
> as a way parallel to the railway line as rail=platform. I have done
> this for Stirling Station, and Edinburgh Park in West Edinburgh, if I
> remember correctly. This also means that you can model how you get on
> to and from the station platforms. It's all very well seeing a station
> there as a dot, but at high zoom you need to know how to get there
> from the surrounding roads.

Agreed. In the EU model there is a distinction between the logical 'Stop
Point' (a point feature) and the physical platform (an area) and the track
(a line). There would be a logical Stop Points that would be used within the
schedules (relating to platform 4, 4A and 4B in my example), and this will
separately be associated with a physical bit of the world (a platform). One
platform can of course also serve two separate 'tracks'. There may also be
one or more Boarding Points associated with the platform associated with
where to stand to enter the train through a particular door for one's booked
seat. As I mentioned in an earlier post the physical design of the station
is described in the IFOPT standard. Incidentally platforms are called Quays
for ferry services and are similar to Gates in airports. In the EU standard
they are all of these are called Quays.
http://www.naptan.org.uk/ifopt/

I am interesting in the idea of how OSM might model larger transport
interchanges, although I think walking round Kings Cross Station going
systematically up and down all the escalators making notes and taking photos
might get one escorted off the premises!

> > This interpretation is now being discussed as ISO level so is
> > probably the
> > one to go with.
> >
> > Are we agreed that this is the appropriate interpretation for the
> > feature
> > going forward. In which case shall I add this clarification and
> > interpretation to the relevant OSM tag page?
> >
> > Btw, Someone might like to ask the DfT in the UK at some point for a
> > copy of
> > the DB they have with the location of over 350,000 bus stops with
> > their
> > names and the name of the associated street. I know the people but
> > it might
> > be better if it came from someone else, possibly from the foundation?
> >

> Go ahead and ask. Watch though as the data might be tainted, as it may
> be derived from ordanance survey data.

Actually the UK stops data is not tainted with OS data. The DfT went out of
its way to get a dataset that the OS had no control or influence over for
the same reasons we are collecting a dataset we have control over! It was
collected separately by GPS and local survey by the local authorities and is
then collected together into a single national dataset.

> > Regards,
> >

> > Peter
> >

> >> Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 20:03:14 +0900
> >> From: "Jeffrey Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>