On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 9:08 PM, Andrew Chadwick (mailing lists)
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The Road crossings proposal[0], appears to be in limbo, and I'm
>  wondering if the correct procedure as described on
>  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features has been
>  followed. It appears to have:
>
>   * been discussed on this list back in August 2007[1]; (hmm, does that
>  count as a proper RFC?),

We didn't "discuss the proposal" in that thread. What actually happened was:

* Some people started tagging *and rendering* crossings, using a
particular tagging scheme.
* Some other people, who weren't actually out doing the work, started
complaining about what was going on [1]
* This second group made an extremely detailed (or overcomplicated,
depending on your point of view) proposal to address their perceived
issues with the scheme [2]
* The proposal petered out, and meanwhile the people actually tagging
stuff have carried on doing so quite successfully.
* Now all the complainers are piping up again. Sigh.

My advice would be to document the predominant use of the tag first,
note the minor use of it second, and forget about the RFC process in
this case.

Cheers,
Andy

[1] The most galling bit of this for me is that they were completely
unaware and uninvolved in the situation before they started whinging
and moaning about it.
[2] Another brilliant example of how people make themselves feel
useful by doing the trivially easy bit, c.f. tracing from Yahoo with
no intention of naming the roads.