On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 10:24:43PM +0200, Karl Eichwalder wrote:
> > mountain bike track in that area.  I suppose that should be tagged:
> >
> >   highway=cycleway
> >   sport=mountainbike
> >
> > Except...  these are not really ways at all, but narrow tracks through the
> > woods that are not suitable for anything really, except mountainbiking.
>
> So go for highway=mtb_track, please.  Do not expect old renderers or routers
> to know about the sport=mountainbike restriction with a sudden.

Good parts of the national cycle network (often, but not always,
alternate routes) in the UK are tracks hardly suitable for road bikes.
They are still meant for bicycles.  The terrain or surface is what
changes, not whether it’s a designated cycle route, and routers and
renderers should be using the relevant tags to distinguish them and not
overloading the single highway key with a gazillion variants.

Routers and renderers written for OSM should also take into account that
by its very nature there is likely to be variance in the way things are
tagged, new ways of tagging things, old ways falling out of use.
Routing profiles and rendering styles can be customised, and updated as
OSM evolves.  The suggestion to avoid problems with old renderers or
routers is just another variant of tagging for the renderer.

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall