On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 6:38 AM, Karl Eichwalder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Alex Mauer schrieb:
>
>> Of course.  Obviously not all designated cycle routes are primarily
>> designed for bicycles.  My point was that poor physical condition of the
>> surface of the route (possibly intentional in the case of a mountain
>> biking route) cannot take away its designation as a route for bicycles.
>
> Thanks good to hear, but different what you proposed in the beginning.
> In the beginning you proposed to tag those highway=cycleway, where
> obviously "highway=footway bicycle=yes" or "highway=track" would be
> more appropriate.
>
> Then put all these way into a cycle route relation and you are done.
> The results will be nicely visible on Andy's cyclemap.

Yeah, having something which has more in common with a rocky staircase
than a path marked as cycleway is clearly a bit silly. highway=mtb
style suggestions sound reasonable to me.

Incidentally, if you put network=mtb onto a route relation then it
will popup on the cycle map in green:
http://www.gravitystorm.co.uk/osm/?zoom=12&lat=6899819.25777&lon=-424589.12996&layers=B00

the actual ways can be anything as per other cycle routes. When
cycling the area I linked to, I wasn't really paying much attention to
mapping so I only have the route in this case, this could be improved
a lot, mostly with foot paths and tracks.

Better tagging suggestions welcome... especially if you have an area
already tagged up to show it in use.

Dave