Andy Allan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Sent: 12 May 2008 10:52 PM
>To: David Earl
>Cc: Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists); talk@openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] [OSM-dev] Developers requested to help provide
>"completeness" tools
>
>On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 8:16 PM, David Earl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
>>  I think it is terribly hard to know whether you have all the footpaths,
>>  and I think we'd hardly ever mark anywhere "complete" if we did that.
>
>I think it's terribly hard to know when a map is correct and complete,
>regardless of what you're considering.
>
>In fact, as something I've floated with some people before, I think
>the idea of "completeness" is the wrong way round. I think we should
>be considering where a map is *incomplete*.
>
>Think about it. If you are presented with a map of your village and
>asked whether it's right, it's very unlikely that you know all the
>roads and all the names and how everything connects and be sure of
>yourself. But it's quite likely that what you'll spot (if anything) is
>a mistake or a missing road. I can do this with TIGER stuff for
>example - I can't tell you if the map is correct, but I can definitely
>find bits that are definitely wrong.

Some of us map out an area completely in one go rather than doing it
piecemeal. Even if I come across some existing roads in a new area I ignore
them and do a new survey so that the whole area makes logical sence to me.
That way I can work out where the landuse areas are behind the houses and
the extent of school areas etc etc. So for me a reasonable level of
completeness is easy to decide and annotate. I accept where many users touch
the same area, especially areas with Y! imagery then this approach probably
is not workable.

Cheers

Andy