Hi,

SteveC wrote:
> Just demonstrably not true. Most people don't know what co-ordinates
> are or care that they don't know. It would just clutter the map and
> make us look less usable.

The good thing about OSM is that we don't have to go for one or the
other; we can have both.

Ulf, with just a little bit of Javascript you can create your own
version of an OpenStreetMap map, just like informationfreeway.org, and
modify it to your heart's content.

Here is an example that displays the mouse position in degrees, minutes,
and seconds:

http://www.remote.org/frederik/tmp/degrees.html

(This was a bit nasty as the OpenLayers version currently used by
informationfreeway, from which I simply copied the page, does not
support easy overriding of the coordinate display; newer OpenLayers
versions would only require 10 lines of code instead of the 30 lines or
so I had to put in here.)

Steve is right in saying that the general public doesn't know their
latitude from their longitude and has no desire to be educated on this;
but of course this does not keep us from making alternative
OpenStreetMap pages aimed at people who do.

Bye
Frederik

--
Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ##  N49°00'09" E008°23'33"