On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Raphael Studer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,

>>> No, because this would break existing rendering. First make sure the new
>>> tag is supported by the majority of renderers - otherwise it will look
>>> to people as if the gates had been removed because they're suddenly not
>>> on the map any more.
>>
>> And remember that "renderers" aren't just the main ones that show map
>> tiles, there's lots of other ones for mobile devices including e.g.
>> mkgmap, which may or may not need to be modified. Also any editor
>> presets (all the editors, not just JOSM), and of course the multitude
>> of routing programs.
>
> When waiting till the majority of the software (using osm data)
> changed to the new tags, will there ever be a chance to run a convert
> script? Not just for the barrier tag, for any tag. IMOH there will
> never be a chance.
> There are still about 280 class=highway in germany.. (says the
> tagwatch.dstoecker.eu).
>
>> Who dislikes the concept of "deprecating" tags almost as much as
>> people automatically changing thousands of tags two days after a
>> self-selected cabal think that the voting system is the be all and end
>> all...
>
> Whats about a clean-up-day?
> At a given day, every year/quarter/month, all "deprecating" tags will
> be converted.
> With a list about which tags this will would be for the next
> clean-up-day. So there is a chance for doing this by hand in your
> region.

I suspect the vast majority of these class=highway ways will fall into
one of these two categories:

1) The way also has a highway tag

2) There will be a way either directly on top, or running in a vaguely
overlapping way, which has highway tags. (quite possibly with a
FIXME=previously unwayed segment.. or whatever the tag is).

So any automatic script is going to be either unnecessary, or harmful
(you'll end up with two roads instead of just one).
In "obvious" "deprecation" like this I think you're better off writing
a tool to find them, and flag them for people to go have a look at.

The real question to ask here is what the "clean-up" is meant to
achieve? Especially when the new tag does not really interfere with
the old tag, what does forcibly removing the old tag actually get you?
Perhaps a cleaner data model, or a smaller planet dump, but only in
the extreme case where you actually succeed. And are these worth the
instant breakage of tools you have nothing to do with?

Dave