Hi,

Matthias Julius wrote:
> Anyway, after a tag has been removed from Map Features

Of course nobody would remove a tag from Map Features as long as it is
still widely used! It seems that User:Sergionaranja was unclear about
this and has accidentally removed highway=gate and others from Map
Features (and indeed documented some barrier=* tags on the Map
Features:highway template where they don't belong!). I have reverted
that edit, and added a proper section for the "barrier" tag.

> or clearly marked as depreciated

There is no authority in OSM that has the power to mark anything as
deprecated.

I have modified the wording on the page "deprecated features" to clearly
say that these are tags for which a replacement is recommended, not
"deprecated tags that should no longer be used". Whoever put that
wording in there, please note that you have *no* authority to tell
people how they "should" tag things!

I am also thinking about renaming the page altogether. There is simply
no room for the word "deprecated" here. I'm just unsure about the new
name. "Old features"? "Older features"?

> and no new data has been added with that tag for
> a good while (a year maybe) it is probably safe to convert existing
> occurances to the new scheme and stop supporting the old one, IMHO.

It is probably never "safe" but at some time one has to move on, we
cannot support old stuff forever.

Bye
Frederik

--
Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ##  N49°00'09" E008°23'33"