David Earl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> If I were a tool author (which I am, of course, but namefinder is not
> interested in gates; however the same principle applies to any
> "deprecated" tag), for a widely used tag I would feel I needed leave the
> old one in indefinitely for backward compatibility in the absence of any
> enforceable standards.

If you are the author of a popular tool you are the "enforcer".  That
is if you say "My tool will recognize gates if they are tagged in this
way" there is a good chance that people will do exactly that.

In the end it is the tool authors who need to decide whether they want
to stop supporting some legacy tagging scheme.

Anyway, after a tag has been removed from Map Features or clearly
marked as depreciated and no new data has been added with that tag for
a good while (a year maybe) it is probably safe to convert existing
occurances to the new scheme and stop supporting the old one, IMHO.

Matthias