2008/12/1 Bernhard Zwischenbrugger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Hi
>

>>> bicycle=no|yes|difficult|unsuitable
>>>
>>> so you'd get
>>>
>>> highway=bridleway
>>> foot=yes (permitted, no problem)
>>> bicycle:racer=unsuitable (permitted but not practical)
>>> bicycle:hybrid=difficult (permitted but challenging)
>>> bicycle:mtb=yes (permitted, no problem)
>>>

>> In Vienna we have an event called "Friday Night Skating".
> Every week about 1000 Inline Skater meet at 10pm and skate on normal roads.
> The police blocks all the roads an it is possible to skate on roads that
> are for normal for cars only.
>
> The route is about 15 to 25 km.
>
> To plan an event like this is not easy.
> It should be a different route every week.
> If it's combined with sightseeing it's optimal.
>
> There are similar events in many cities like Paris, Munich,... sometimes
> with much more skaters.
>
> For beginners the road surface is very important.
>
> It should be possible to plan a Friday Night Skate route with data from
> OSM.
>
> If we have a tag
> skate:xy
> bicycle:xy
> people think it's allowed to go by bike or inline skates on this roads -
> but it isn't.
>
> For more info:
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skatenight
> http://www.nightskating.at
> http://www.muenchner-blade-night.de/
>
> Sorry - all in German

If this is an argument in favour of smoothness, then you would run in to
exactly the same problem (just not as fine grained).

If a user see's a road as being tagged as "smooth", then they'd think that
they could roller blade on it, which apparently they are not allowed to.

Here, we run in to a problem where suitability and permissibility are not
going along with each other.

With Richards suggestion you could still have.

bicycle:racer=unsuitable (permitted but not practical)
bicycle:hybrid=difficult (permitted but challenging)
bicycle:mtb=yes (permitted, no problem)
bicylcle=no

Though that to me feels ugly, but at least feasable.

Additionally, for now at least, a certain amount of sense has to be assumed,
and that you wouldn't get some one rollerblading down a dual carriage way,
during a normal day, just because a map told them it was smooth.

If they did, then I think they'd be a prime candidate for a Darwin award!