Per-15 wrote:
> If you don't like smoothness invent a better scheme!
> Smoothness is better than nothing.

That's debatable (as well as, er, very_horrible).

Personally I believe the easiest and most flexible thing is just to extend
the access tags:

bicycle=no|yes|difficult|unsuitable

so you'd get

highway=bridleway
foot=yes (permitted, no problem)
bicycle:racer=unsuitable (permitted but not practical)
bicycle:hybrid=difficult (permitted but challenging)
bicycle:mtb=yes (permitted, no problem)

It follows the time-honoured OSM principle of "tag as much as you know/can
be bothered to do; crowdsourcing will make the data richer over time".

But I really can't be faffed with explaining this to a bunch of droids on
the wiki who may never have seen a bridleway in their lives but won't let
that stop them voting.

cheers
Richard