2008/11/26 Alex Mauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Pieren wrote:
>> I would also show the fact that it was approved by
>> keeping the entry in the "Approved Features" with a note that strong
>> oppositions and open issues have to be fixed before it goes to the
>> "Map Features".
>
> I agree that would be appropriate if there were any strong oppositions
> besides chriscf saying "I don't like it".
>
> Reading the talk page, there are the following:
>
> [snip]
>
> "subjective": This is really about being vague.  Addressed, in that
> there are clear criteria for how smoothness should be determined.

No, subjective is really about that there are some paths which I'd
consider impassible with a wheeled vehicle, and have then seen someone
zoom down on a mountain bike. That makes the assessment essentially
dependent on my skill level on a mountain bike. ie: subjective.

The table is full of such subjective assessments: can I roller blade
on it. No, I can't. It doesn't help that I can't roller blade at all.
So sure, if the tag was, "is it possible to roller blade down this
road assuming a skill level of a Grade III Roller Blading Proficiency
Award?" then it might have a point, but it's not.

Can I use a racing bike on it? How often are you willing to stop to
repair punctures? Did you buy an easily broken racing bike, or a
slightly tougher one?

And as has been mentioned by someone else, are we supposed to be
taking account of quicksand? Because that's potentially quite smooth.
Or a perfectly smooth road that permanently has 3 inches of standing
water? This tag actually has nothing to do with smoothness, it's just
that smoothness is a particular property which is useful to know for
some of the excellent and good transport mediums. So the key name
really sucks.

Is it usable with a tank? WTF?! One of the main things that's going to
stop a tank is road width.. but that clearly isn't going to stop a
bike as much. But maybe the road is really wide and smooth enough for
roller skates, just with tank traps built in (you can easily get round
them with roller blades).

Basically the tag is awful, but that's never stopped anyone in the past, so meh.

Dave