On 18 Dec 2008, at 13:46, Nick Whitelegg wrote:

>> I think that would be an excellent idea, however don't assume transit
>> authorities will always give you the data because they often won't
>> for
>> various reasons. There is not however a problem as far as I know in
>> people collecting their own timetable information from printed
>> material and entering it into a common DV. What would be needed would
>> be a repository and a way of entering data.
>
> Some sort of AJAXy thing where an incomplete timetable is presented
> then
> people fill in the data (with operations available to repeat every
> hour)
> sounds good.

Personally I am reasonably convinced by the arguments being put
forward that any sort of collection of timetable data may be open to
challenge within Europe under the DB directive. I notice however that
lots of PT data has been released in the USA under freedom of
information act which is a curious thing to have to do to find when
the buses run. For example
http://www.gtfs-data-exchange.com/agency/port-authority-trans-hudson/

I suggest that this is another reason to keen the PT data separate
from the OSM data.

I was wondering however, if any of the authorities in gtfs-data-
exchange would mind their data about the positioning of bus stops to
be imported into OSM. Might be worth asking them at some point. The
current bus stop positions are sometimes not that accurate in the
official data. The data for Davis often puts bus stops in the middle
of houses for example.

Regards,

Peter