On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 1:01 PM, Pieren <pier...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 1:09 PM, Thomas Wood <grand.edgemas...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Frederik does make a good point that it could be used for good.
>
> I'm probably stupid but what is the aim of having google maps layers
> in JOSM - one editor for OSM data -  excepted for copy ?
> I still see why people create online mashups where we can compare
> gmaps and OSM. But here we are inside an editor...

That probably is the point. Not an issue in itself however, I've used
JOSM in the past to derive data from various non-free sources for my
own personal use; I didn't upload it to OSM however which is the point
at which my editing patterns would have become a problem for the
project, but no earlier.

The tools built around this project get used for more than OSM itself.
Actively working on restricting their use in conjunction with non-free
data under any circumstance will most likely be futile in the long run
compared to educating the userbase; especially as such use may be
perfectly legitimate.