IMO, the proposal of Gustav is better, because maritime borders clearly are administrative. Martijn suggests that there is a clear difference between country and maritime borders. However, it are different properties of a border: a border can be one or both. The half of the Dutch country border is a maritime border. So I would propose to use boundary=administrative on all maritime borders and use another tag to distinguish them. Currently, borders are distinguished by admin_level. The wiki tells about admin_level: "admin_level <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:admin_level>=1 to 10 has been introduced in order that different borders can be rendered consistently among countries (doing this based on border_type would require knowledge of their hierarchy in each country)." Based on this information, I conclude that every border has a border_type, but we tag it as admin_level for convenience. For example: border_type=province and inside(The Netherlands) implies admin_level=4. We mainly tag the admin_level only, because that one is the easier for rendering, but we think about it as border types and sometimes tag border_type too. So I would propose to use border_type for any border that has no admin_level defined. Thus the territorial sea will have admin_level=2 because it's a country border, but any other maritime border will only have border_type set. That works quite well with the current tagging: border_type is optional when admin_level is set, required otherwise. Also for rendering it's no problem: render borders based on admin_level and when that one's empty, use border_type. The only thing that remains is: which border_types are possible? Probably exclusive_economic_zone will be one of them.

Steven