Hi,

Gustav Foseid wrote:
> If we tag maritime borders the
> same way as land borders, it will be very difficult for someone using OSM
> data to avoid drawing halos, with todays renderers I would even call it
> impossible.

You have probably not read the posting to which Jochen refers. It is here:

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2009-January/032904.html

It distinguishes between "boundary=administrative" (which would denote
the political boundaries, be they on water or on land), and
"land_area=administrative" (for the land area). Other than this
distinction, both are tagged the same. A landlocked country will have
just one border relation that is tagged boundary=administrative AND
land_area=administrative, whereas a country with maritime borders will
have two relations that partly use the same ways, partly not.

Crucially, the coastline ways are never tagged with any boundary tag;
they are just included as-is in the land_area=administrative relation.

Bye
Frederik