Hi,

Ben Laenen wrote:
> Ugh, and here I thought people in the FOSS world actually cared about
> proper use of licenses.

Well if it were my call...

> Here's one: why not proposing to put it all under a proprietary license,
> and also relicense the works of those that you can't get an answer
> from.

I know this was meant as a crass example but it is not at all, it is
almost exactly the situation we are in at the moment.

Currently, we assume that every contributor is the licensor of his data.
If, today, I take the data authored by mapper "X" and use it in my
proprietary product without attribution, then nobody but mapper X can
actually start legal proceedings against me; it is a thing between him
and me. If you witness me abusing his data, then the only thing you can
do is try to reach him and ask him to sue me. If he is completely
unreachable, or unwilling to sue me, then I can continue to use his data
any way I please.

Bye
Frederik