On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 03:39, Iván Sánchez Ortega <i...@sanchezortega.es> wrote:
> El Martes, 3 de Marzo de 2009, MP escribió:
>> Note that if cc-by-sa is somehow abusable, anybody that want to abuse
>> the license using some loophole will simply grab last dump srill
>> published under cc-by-sa instead of the new license - and then abuse
>> the non-enforcability of cc-by-sa to databases.
>
> ... Which is, IMHO, the reason for the migration to ODbL to be as fast as
> possible.
>
> (If this happens, though, we should start looking for loopholes in other
> people's data).

What about finding a loophole that will allow convert from cc-by-sa to
ODbL without asking anybody? :) I think wikipedia is doing something
similar with their transition from GFDL to cc-by-sa

>> So if we assume we will contact everybody who has logged/uploaded data
>> at least once in last month and we will fail to contact the others -
>> how many data will be removed?
>
> We won't know until we ask.

I tried running some statistics on extract of Czech Republic from (~
78000 km^2, 684 Mb uncompressed)
If i take data from all users, that have uploaded/modified at least
one node, way or relation in last month, I end up with 72.66% of all
the data. If I use last two months instead, I end up with 85.56% of
data. That is only current state, not considering any history or
possible derivative work, etc ....

When I tried the same for germany, I get 59.82% for one-month-recent
contributors and 79.17% for two-month-recent. Even worse. If we assume
people without contribution in last two months as unreachable (lack of
interest in OSM for them), we lose at least 20% data.

If the loss would be such high, I think we'll have another fork very soon.

Martin