(extreme example?) A group of 8 year old kids spend a day in a local park mapping out locations where they find butterflies. They map this information using an OSM map and stick a copy on their local parks noticeboard. Surely they shouldn't be made to make this data available to OSM? Its not worth the bother for them (or OSM) A wildlife group wishes to map the location of endangered species. Lacking money, OSM seems like a good resource, but they can not supply the data and therefore the location of protected species to OSM. So they can not use OSM and have to spend money on another map?
Thanks for those. Great examples. I have added them to the Use Cases page.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Use_Cases

Regards,

Peter

I started supplying data to OSM in the belief I was creating map data that was free and could easily be used by everyone. This can not be achieved if the burden of using OSm data is greater than the benefit.

Cheers

Jason