On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 07:59:48AM +0200, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> > Hold on there. Defined? defined by whom. If you mean its in map features
> > then that's cool because I put them there :-D
> > On the other hand Map Features isn't a rule book or a prescribed standard.
> > Its guidance on how you might like to tag. landuse=wood is perfectly correct
> > in English. It means it's a piece of land been used for managed woodland to
> > my mind. That's not the same as forest. It might not translate the same for
> > you but that's cool. I wouldn't be asking you to accept the tag is correct
> > in your eyes, but I am asking you to respect it could be in mine.
>
> It might be that for you landuse=wood is managed woodland.

It is for me too, I just happen to have tagged none yet.  If I ever tag
a managed wood that I don’t consider to be either a forest or unmanaged
woodland, I will tag it as landuse=wood.

> wiki says the opposit and thats what people use to understand
> the tags.

Re‐quoting Andy on Map Features (it applies to the rest of the wiki
too):

> > On the other hand Map Features isn't a rule book or a prescribed standard.
> > Its guidance on how you might like to tag.

Fortunately, the wiki is a wiki, so for those who like to take the wiki
as prescribed, see landuse=wood[1].

[1]: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dwood

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall