On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:25:20 +0100
mle <i...@dynoyo.plus.com> wrote:

> I was staying very near the east coast, and noticed that tracks near
> the coast appeared too far inland (further west than expected) when
> the GPS tracks were plotted.  They also seemed too far inland when
> looking at the Yahoo background layer in Potlatch.

Align the Yahoo imagery with your traces, as it's not always aligned
correctly initially.  The imagery only ever gives an idea of what is on
the ground, we don't the state of the tide when the imagery was taken,
there may have been coastal erosion or sea rising/falling since then,
etc.

You seem confident that your traces are accurate, don't worry about
editing existing coastline data if you believe it is incorrect.  And
remember the coastline should show the mid-tide level.

--
Alice