Tal wrote:
> On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Ben Laenen <benlae...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 07 May 2009, Tal wrote:
>> > Imagine that you plan a business trip to Tel-Aviv and want to print
>> > yourself a map of the city. Or maybe you'll be spending a week in
>> > Cairo. Can you not see the benefit in having a map with the street
>> > names in a different language than the one on the sign?
>>
>> name:xx is only for the names on the street sign (the official names,
>> and locals will often know them)
>

> And suppose I just mapped, as I really did, several streets with no street
> signs at all. These streets have names, they are mentioned in local maps,
> and you can send letters to that street addresses. Are you saying that I
> should not tag these street names just because they do not have a street
> sign?

I hope you do understand that it's not the street sign as such, but the
official name which is supposed to be in the name tag.
Of course an absence of a street sign does not mean that the street has no
name or should not be tagged with a name.

> Another thing, old streets signs in Tel-Aviv also had Arabic script. Newer
> signs, which gradually replace the old onces, generally do not contain
> Arabic (that probably depend on the area of the city). So one should map a
> street in 3 languages (he,ar,en) now, and when the city replaces the
> corresponding sign, one should go back and delete that name:ar?

Depends on what the official name is. And with other alphabets it is also a
question what name:en should be. Should it be a literal translation to
english, or should it be the local name, but written in European alphabet?
Same goes for Cyrillic alphabet. When I look around, I see roads tagged in
name:en with the russian name, in European script.
I think in these situations name:en should be the local name in European
alphabet.
This is different from what I was saying before, but I think this is a
different situation.

> I understand that name:xx is mainly for what is on the street signs, but
> this is only because the relevant names in all the relevant languages are
> usually on a nearby street sign. When they are not, that rule no longer
> applies.

name:xx is IMHO not mainly for street signs. At least if you speak of name:xx
for use as a literal translation to other languages (the "Bergstraße -
Mountain road" example) it has little or no use in street signs, except in
multilingual places where the street signs show multiple languages.
It has more use in place names.

Regards,
Maarten