Hi!

Martin Koppenhoefer schrieb:
 > Roman already told you at the time that there is no 1:1 English
 > replacement. That's why he suggested the german terms.

There is no exact _translation_. But it is easily possible do _define_ a
tag (in english) that represents the correct meaning in the local context.

It is that simple: You see the tag highway=motorway and you interpret in
a local context, so you know that in Britain it is a Motorway with a
speed limit and in Germany it is an Autobahn with unlimited speed. But
you use the same tag.

In my opinion it is just the same for castles. You see the tag
catle_type=defensive and you know that it is a Burg in Germany and a
keep in Britain. There is no need to use Burg, hrad, linna, Chateau,
zamek etc. with roughly the same meaning.

 > but you do like russian and japanese terms, or why didn't you
 > "translate" shiro and kremlin?

Because "kremlin" is an English tag and thus universally usable. :-)

Actually, according to your doctrin, it is wrong. Being a russian type,
it would have to be tagged in Russian language terms. So the page is
even inconsistent.

 > You are complaining about people sneaking stuff into the wiki, but you
 > are the one doing this: after quite a lot of time (and tagging, this
 > is tagwatch for castle_type:         Schloss (77), Burg (68), burg (6),
 > Burg, Schloss (5), schloss (4), Herrenhaus (3), Wasserburg (2),
 > chateau (1), citadelle (1), fort (1), kremlin (1) ), a nice wikipage
 > with pictures, etc. the only effort you do is to add confusion by
 > simply adding your own private favorite tags below the old ones. I ask
 > you to remove them there at least until there is some more conclusion
 > in this discussion. You could set up your own alternative
 > castle_type-page, but simply putting them there is really not good
 > style.

Please check the edits, I have been adding more than that. I am just
following the bad example set by the page. As I said: Never a proposal.
If you check the edits, the tagging scheme was opposed by Malenki and
myself in April and Ulfl enhanced the notice that it was never voted
upon. I tried the discussion page, but this was ignored. Since this
improper proposal has just hijacked the main tag's wiki page, showing
that there actually is a simple - and IMHO better - alternative appears
feasible.

Actually, it is sort of pointless if we keep discussing this among
ourselves. I would like to invite a few other people to voice their
opinions.

bye
        Nop