On 14 Jul 2009, at 09:50, Ulf Lamping wrote:

Tom Hughes schrieb:

because in general terms it won't work - reverting
will often need manual intervention to resolve conflicts.

I've heard this argument many times before, but no prove that it is
actually true. Why not do it the osm way, implement it the simplest
possible way and see how far we get?

People who have reverted stuff in the past have already come across the conflicts. This is especially true when you have someone who has tried to fix the problem manually before asking for help.

As soon as someone has edited anything in the changeset after the version in the changeset, then you have a conflict and can't do a simple one click revert. OpenStreetMap data is a *lot* more complex than the Wikipedia when it comes to reverting due to the referential integrity. That is key to there not being a simple revert system for whole changesets.

If the edit can't be reverted because of conflicts, simply show a:
"can't revert because of editing conflicts" message.

I guess this would already solve 99.99% of all cases.

Only in the seconds/hours after the edit was made (depending on how active the mappers in the area are). The further back in time you go the more conflicts you get and the harder it is.

Shaun