On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 00:22:40 +0200, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/8/1 Renaud MICHEL <r.h.michel+...@gmail.com>:
>> Le vendredi 31 juillet 2009 à 03:23, Roy Wallace a écrit :
>>> What about a way that has either a physical limitation or a legal
>>> limitation (not both). Perhaps there is some argument that the tag
>>> should differentiate between these situations? Though I admit I can
>>> only think of a weak one - that it makes it clearer for users and
>>> mappers
>>
>> I have a very good example:
>> For an ambulance, many legal limitations (like speed limit) don't apply,
>> so
>> if a road has a legal limitation for the maximum height of 2m but you
can
>> actually physically take that road with a 3m ambulance, that is a useful
>> information for the ambulance driver who then knows he can actually take
>> that road, although regular users may not.
>
> This is a nice theory, but can I see some example? I doubt that there
> is any bridge with 3 m height and 2 m restriction. And I doubt that
> the ambulance driver would (in case of emergency) have the time and
> nerves to check if a bridge with 2m- restriction will still have
> enough space for him to pass. And I won't recommend him to rely on OSM
> data. Can you imagine what happens to him, if he gets stuck under a
> bridge with designated maxheight (and he's bigger) with an emergency
> patient on board?
>
> I don't neglect the usefullness of this tag though: there might be
> special transports (accompagnied by local police) that might pass
> (with special permission and controll) a bridge that legally is
> restricted e.g. to 2,80 but physically allows even 3,00 m to pass.
> They will even get rid of some air in their tires if it is needed ;-)
>
> cheers,
> Martin

1) height restrictions are not only placed on bridges, but also on tunels,
where low wires hang across roads, or other physical barriers. The
difference between physical and legal limitations I do not know about, and
I guess one would have to go around with a measuring tape to find it out.
2) ambulance drivers are usually guided from traffic centrals, where they
use routing software and traffic monitoring actively to find the quickest
way. The ambulance drivers are usually on radio contact with these centrals
during the entire trip to the cashualty and back to the hospital
--
Brgds
Aun Johnsen