Currently highway=unclassified is too ambiguous, and while there was a proposal
to replace this with highway=minor this seems to have gone no where yet the
same problem still exists.

I'm proposing not to replace highway=unclassified but to clarify it's meaning
to be one thing, that is it has higher volumes of traffic than residential, but
not enough to be considered tertiary.

I'm also proposing to introduce a new highway classification for non-urban*
areas. That is highway=rural would be for roads generally lesser than
residential, generally unsealed but some of them are sealed and they generally
only have a single lane depending how zealous the grader driver was feeling.

Please comment and so forth on the talk page and hopefully this can be sorted
out once and for all.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/highway:rural