I'm coming to sympathise with the rendering gods, this really is going round
in circles isn't it!

The advantage of a new highway tag is a nice clear match between tag and
reality, leading to better performance by taggers, renderers and routers.
The disadvantage is confusion in the transitionary period (which could be
years) and the effort of retagging.

I'm concluding that - while you wouldn't start from here - the existing
tagging can be made to work, though the documentation should be improved. We
don't really need another level in the countryside, and there are other ways
of coping with the fact that a rural unclassified and an urban unclassified
are physically different (I would propose recommending the use of abutters
for urban ones, and discouraging it for rural ones).

I don't think the proposal for highway=rural is going to be agreed (though
making it was helpful in progressing the debate). So I'll probably have a go
at improving the wording in the wiki (initially by adding rather than
deleting).

Richard