On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 11:20 PM, Martin
Koppenhoefer<dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/8/6 Liz <ed...@billiau.net>:
>> On Thu, 6 Aug 2009, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>>> there could be
>>> maxspeed[08:30-09:30]=40
>>> maxspeed[14:30-15:30]=40
>>> maxspeed[08:30-09:30]:reason=school_zone
>>> maxspeed[14:30-15:30]:reason=school_zone
> So either you need explicitly 2 conditions (some tag for AND
> school-day=true, like in the wiki proposal maxspeed[hgv][Sa,Su] = 80)
> or you interpret the above, that you could implicitly see from the
> reason that it is only valid on school-days.

I think Martin does have a point, that perhaps we should tag the
effect of the school zone (i.e. a maxspeed restriction) rather than
the school zone itself. Though this preference is subjective, it would
avoid the need for an extra, redundant tag, making it easier for users
(e.g. routers) to parse the data.

Either way, the meaning of "school days" has to be determined. For
this, I prefer something like the following:

maxspeed[school_days][08:30-09:30]=40

which is really quite a simple format:

maxspeed[<day(s)>][<time span>]

rather than requiring inference from a separate ":reason" tag.
":reason=school_zone" is more ambiguous than a tag that explicitly
states the restriction only applies on school days.