On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 8:48 PM, David Paleino<d.pale...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'd like to start discussion on the deprecation of the Tag:highway=stop in
> favour of using stop=yes/both/-1.

First impression: the value of the tag is extremely ambiguous, and in
no way self-explanatory. I don't like it at all.

> The first usage is putting highway=stop in the node where ways intersect: this
> is not right, since that intersection represents (more-or-less) the center of
> the junction, and I've never seen a stop sign in the middle of a junction ;-)

I don't see a problem with this. As far as I'm concerned, highway=stop
does not represent a particular stop *sign*, but rather the effect of
the stop sign - i.e. the fact that vehicles must stop before
proceeding through the intersecting node.

> Consequent to this, I previously adopted the habit to put a highway=stop node
> *before* the junction, on a separate node (on the same way, obviously), for
> each of the streets having it.

I don't like this, because "before" is arbitrary. If the stop
requirement applies to the intersection, I think it should be applied
to the intersection itself (either directly or as a member of a
relation).

Overall, I admire the attempt to avoid having a use a relation - but
to convince me, the meaning of the tag must be self-explanatory.

How about stop=at_last_node, stop=at_first_node and
stop=at_first_and_last_node? More verbose, but a lot clearer than
yes/-1/both.

Also, I would remove the references to stop "signs" - replace with
references to the requirement to stop - this is, after all, the
characteristic of the way that is being tagged, not the fact that
there is a sign near the way. In Australia, for example, I believe a
stop "line" (solid white line) has the same legal effect as a stop
"sign".