I just tried to apply the 'architects' convention' of steps 'always' being from
bottom to top. Then for unrelated reasons I reversed the way. Unlike 'oneway'
this does not reverse the direction of the steps - i.e. the software doesn't
know about the architects' convention. So I have to conclude that - at present
at least - the assumption of an implicit sense is risky.

Mike Harris