There was a change on the highway key wiki page, that interferes with the
concept presented here.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php?title=Key%3Ahighway&diff=317630&oldid=317451

User Dieterdreist has changed the description so the highway tag is no longer
used for the objective physical description but for a subjective feeling of
"importance". Millions of highway tags would need to be reviewed if this change
without proposal and approval would become valid.

Two important aspect of routing, the estimation of time to arrival and finding
the fastest route, will fail if the highway tag does not stick to physical
facts.

Several other established or proposed tags like maxspeed defaults are
negatively affected by changing the highway concept of tagging.

New OSM contributors learn bad practice from the start when the first tag they
learn is switched from hard facts so unsure estimation.

Probably new users have already done large damage to the map by mapping or
changing highway tags from the facts to the feeling schema, resulting in worse
quality of calculated routes.

IMHO this is a new dimension of vandalism. I don't think that this is done by
concurring commercial map providers, but this subtile method of weakening the
OSM tagging schema and therefor lowering the quality of OSM data would be a
really cool attack against OSM, because it is not possible to search for and
revert such changes systematically.

I think that we, the community, should not accept such severe changes made to
extremely used and highly established without the proposal + approval workflow.

I ask you to support the reverting of the unapproved changes in the wiki and in
the mailing lists.

I also think we need a consensus that tag descriptions for tags that are used
more than 100.000 times shall not be changed without a proposal.

Regards
Lulu-Ann