2009/8/26 Peter Körner <osm-li...@mazdermind.de>:
>> The wiki should not only match the reality, it should suggest proper
>> behaviour to (new) users. Text like
>>
>>     If a section of road in the US looks like a motorway then it can
>>     be tagged as a motorway without researching its funding sources or
>>     driving up and down the road looking for an Interstate sign.
>>
>> to me suggests lazy tagging.
> No, that's the way OSM works. Knowledge of local users count's more than
> signs - at least as far as I understood it.
>
>> In The Netherlands there are two types of motorway, "autoweg" (max
>> speed = 100 km/h, could have same-level crossings) and "snelweg" (max
>> speed = 120 km/h, no same-level crossings), which are quite difficult
>> to discern without driving up to the entrance and checking the signs.
>> However, they are sufficiently different that I think it's worth it to
>> either tag it as highway=road and let someone else determine the
>> proper tag or just to make sure what kind of road something is before
>> it is tagged.
> In my opinion the value of the highway-tag is determind by the
> importance of the road as seen from a local user. If the "autoweg" is
> much more important in a place as a "snelweg" nearby, it should be
> tagged higher, regardless of any signs. You are free to add a maxspeed
> with 100/120 if you want to.
>
> Peter

Agreed.

The French state declassified a lot of national roads ("routes
nationales") in the last few years because they were not state funded
anymore. So the N89 for example became the D 2089 (D is for
departmental roads) but it is still a much more important road that
all the D roads around it. The D 2089 is still tagged as primary and
all the other original D roads around are highway=secondary. Doing
otherwise would have been an error in my view.

I guess that the highway tag used to describe physical features of
different types of roads back when OSM was quite UK-centric. But it's
not anymore and tying the meaning of the highway tag to physical
features would just make it impossible to use widely.

Renaud.