Frederik wrote:
> I think that a discussion on the mailing list reaches more people than a
> proposal on the Wiki, so I don't see why the latter should be preferred
> ;-)

The wiki workflow includes the talk list several time, for the rfc and for the
start of voting, so the wiki process includes all users, the ones from the wiki
and the ones on the mailing list. So you are surely wrong here.

This could be extended by taking a field into the proposal template with the
links to the talk archive on rfc and voting start.

On the other hand the "mailing list agreement" (which did not exist in this
case) usually does not reach the wiki readers. At least a link to the mailing
list archive is needed on the tag's talk page *befor* any edits to the tag page
are performed.

The wiki has a great advantage in comparison with the mailing lists:
You only watch the topics you are interested in, what is very helpful if you
don't spend your fulltime job with OSM. ;-)

> Granted: talk-de is not the place to discuss stuff that is
> internationally relevant, even if the .de community makes > 40% of all
> edits. But if ever people on talk should agree on something I don't
> think it is required to make a Wiki proposal as well.

You can think so, but surely the wiki proposal process was not invented and
established to be ignored by others. I know that many users "give a dam about
votings", but I think this will only provoke edit wars.

In case of changing the rules for the usage of a well established tag, it will
not only cause edit wars in the wiki, but also in the map!

Mikel convinced me to take time and discuss this on the list, I hope we can
convince "mailinglist-only users" to do the same and drop a line in the wiki
befor doing "important edits" from time to time - Why not post the link to the
mailing list archive?!

Regards
Lulu-Ann