On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 10:05 PM, "Marc Schütz"<schue...@gmx.net> wrote:

> Note that by requiring a junction, you make it impossible to model stop signs
> don't involve a junction.

Yeah, I was thinking about this too.... You could argue that a stop
sign/"requirement to stop" should be modeled not by "a way and a
junction", nor by a "node on a way and the nearest junction" but by a
*node on a way and a direction*.

After all, stop signs are generally not double-sided.

How about this...just tag a node (must be on a way) where the stop
sign/line is in reality, with the following:
stop:forward=yes, or
stop:backward=yes, or
stop=yes (for a node on a oneway=yes way, else implies the stop sign
applies in both directions)

Syntax negotiable, but you get the idea - the above was chosen to
resemble some examples on
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access.  You might prefer
highway:forward=stop, but I don't.

Maybe this is a good compromise - it avoids the need for a relation,
but also clearly and completely describes the effect of the stop sign.