________________________________
From: Donald Allwright <donald_allwri...@yahoo.com>
To: d f <fac63te...@yahoo.com>
Cc: talk@openstreetmap.org
Sent: Tuesday, 8 September, 2009 16:25:41
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] source=(survey, yahoo, gps...)

>If there are 10 traces by GPS for a way & I think it's out of alignment from
>the average of them, then I would move it.
>Irrelevant of what the source tag for the way.

Please don't do this unless you have clear evidence it's wrong, you could well
be messing up perfectly accurate data.

I course I wouldn't. I never said I would. It should go without saying that
amendments should only be made with prior knowledge of the area.

What if all 10 people walked down the same side of a wide street, and made an
estimate of the necessary offset of the centre line? In this case you'd be
messing up data that were already accurate. Unless you take your own GPS trace,
you can't be sure if that's happened or not. I have in the past done this and
walked across the street at one point in order to get a reference for the
width, then added a deliberate offset accordingly.

That is one technique I use also to make my mapping as accurate as possible.

Cheers
Dave F.