On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 11:04 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/9/9 Anthony <o...@inbox.org>:
> > On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 1:26 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> it would be nice to tag things like GPS model, not just that it was
> >> from a GPS, some models are better than others and so on and so forth.
> >
> > In which case you ought to just upload the GPS data, right?  GPX supports
> > identifying the GPS model as well as point by point accuracy data,
> doesn't
> > it?  I'm less sure whether or not OSM supports this.
>
> Just because a GPS file was uploaded, doesn't mean this was used as
> the source of data, or that it hasn't been changed to use an
> alternative GPS data source or source in general since.

If the way lines up with the GPS trace, the GPS trace was used as the source
of data.  If it doesn't, it wasn't (or it has been changed).

Am I missing some reason that's not correct?

> This is meta
> data for vector information and the vector data has to be tagged
> explicitly with this information some how, other wise we're still left
> assuming as to it's origin or "source".

I agree that people should list their source, even if they uploaded a GPS
trace, since not everyone uses the same software and can bring up the GPS
traces very easily.  But if the source is a GPS trace (or Yahoo, for that
matter), it's not the end of the world if they don't, as a quick examination
of those two possibilities will reveal the source.

Anyway, my question above was where the best place is to tag things like GPS
model.  Why should that be tagged on the way itself, and not on the GPS
trace?  Obviously only works if the person uploads the GPS trace, but we're
talking best practices at this point, right?

By the way, is there any interface where I can click on individual GPS
traces and bring up information about them?  I had one yesterday which was
showing a road that I'm almost certain no longer exists, but I wanted to
check the date that it was made just to confirm my suspicion.  Also, is
there anything that can/should be done in this situation?  It's a shame if
everyone who looks at that has to go through all the same trouble as me just
to confirm that yes, this GPS trace is for a road that no longer exists.
Can traces with obsolete (or just plain inaccurate) information be deleted?
Should they be?