2009/9/20 Lennard <l...@xs4all.nl>:
> Not just countries, but also states (different shields per state, for
> instance). Granted: same thing really.

This is one reason to do these sorts of routes as relations instead of
trying to cram lots of information into the way, you then should avoid
overlapping shields if the rendering process is doing it's job.

> A little birdie once told me of a trick used by a certain map maker.
> Split the border-crossing road twice, so there is only a short section
> that actually crosses the border; probably less than 10 meters. Assign
> one of the styles to that short section, either randomly or by length or
> any other means. Because these sections are so short, it's not
> noticeable on a map, and you don't have "style bleed".

If it's just ref numbers changing that shouldn't need anything more
than to split the way would it?