d f wrote:
> My Lord! What happened to my question?!?
> You lot don't half go on. :-)
It's the same problem ;)
micro mapping requires detail
macro model requires everything linked to the ways

> Back to basics:
> Are we all agreed that, in principle, it would be better to be able to
> have a single bridge to carry multiple ways?
>
> http://osm.org/go/eukOONRtk--
>
> http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=51.380995,-2.350388&spn=0.075105,0.16531&z=13
>
> <http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=51.380995,-2.350388&spn=0.075105,0.16531&z=13>
>
> To answer Martin's query about a bridges independence:
> When editing, if you selected a bridge & moved it, it wouldn't move any
> of the ways going over.
>
> It was more an off the top of my head comment really.
> Would having it independent make it easier for the renderers?
> Would it affect routers? Would a route be described as "cross this
> bridge, then turn left in 200 metres"?
> It would certain save time splitting the ways.
>
> If there are reasons why the bridge needs to be tagged with the
> different types of ways please let me know.
>
> The bridge would have a width tag which the mapper would adjust to suit
> all ways, thus saving the renderer the calculation.
THAT is the key point here
Width tags and other flags - against accurate mapping of details

> Can I check? Are there people here who are suggesting that, in my case,
> they want to draw all four ways (yes, I know the footpath hasn't been
> mapped yet) as  a single way & specify the differences with lane tags?
Camp one is - single way with lanes=4 + bridge section
Camp two would prefer all elements mapped in which case the bridge WOULD
be a separate element.
At the moment we have a hoch podge somewhere in between, with people
splitting ways and adding detail and others putting extra tags that
identify the situation without providing the detail.

> Also I thought street was a "band" word & anybody quoting it was given a
> slap on the wrist & told to go & stand on the naughty step :-)
Lots of streets around here, but the only things banned would be
vehicles on the pedestrian only ones ;)

Anyway
Top down view - single way with lots of tags such as 'bridge'.
Bottom up view - every detail mapped and 'linked' in some way but each
with it's own structural element.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL