Yes, tourist boards are on commission, to sell the advertized hotels 1st.

Anyway, to answer the initial question better, i would (will) make a
map for, and give to (along with neighbouring town maps) Back Packers
Hostels/ Bike shops-rental / libraries / community centers / coffee
shops.
As the indirect approach. ... The authors of those 'tourist maps' are
also free to use OSM, ccBYsa.

So completing the map helps everyone :-)

cheers,
Sam

Twitter: @Acrosscanada