2009/10/29 Ian Dees <ian.d...@gmail.com>

>  > http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=40148
>>  >
>>  > what to do with OSM mappers like these guys in this post?
>>   > They say that they are using Google Earth images :(
>>
>> All of that said, current OSM policy is not to trace without
>> permission.
>>
> Copyright has nothing to do with this*. It's against Google's Terms of
> Service to trace from any of their data: satellite or roads, Google Earth or
> Google Maps.
>
> Although it may/may not be "illegal", it is definitely a breach of
> contract. That does add another dimension to this debate: OSM isn't breaking
> a contract with Google, the user adding the data is.

as far as I read the posted thread of the forum, the user IS NOT uploading
the traces: "I have been (for my own use, still trying to learn) taking
saved images from Google Earth for an area that I'm editing in JOSM, loading
the images in the MetaCarta Map Rectifier, marking 5 points, noting the WMS
id, then loading them as background images in JOSM with the WMS Plugin."

that's how I interpret "for my own use"

cheers,
Martin