On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 12:00 AM, SteveC <st...@asklater.com> wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2009, at 21:53, Anthony <o...@inbox.org> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 11:42 PM, SteveC < <st...@asklater.com>
> st...@asklater.com> wrote:
>
>> Of course they said that, they only support PD-like licenses *as a
>> policy*.
>>

> PD-like licenses?  You mean for databases of facts?  Or am I
> misinterpreting "PD-like"?
>

> Not quite, their policy is that data 'should' be free.

Well, yeah, it should.  Especially if you advertise it as such, like calling
yourself "the free wiki world map" :).

What is OSM's data going to be licensed under?

Even if say I'm a company looking to release data under somethig viral,
> their response is that I am wrong and PD like things should be my only
> choice.

For those of you who'd like a more detailed explanation of their position
and why they hold it, a good starting point is at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/ODbL_comments_from_Creative_Commons

Well, you may think Creative Commons is "stupid", but I hope others will
> give them a chance and listen to what they have to say.  I think they will,
> considering that Creative Commons is well known and respected, compared to
> Open Data Commons, who doesn't even seem to have an article on Wikipedia.
>

> Oh they have been involved, see legal-talk archives back and forth, Richard
> probably knows when and can link.

I know.  I just hope every one of the 256 people eligible to vote on this
proposal has a chance to read their position on the ODbL.